Friday 15 August 2014

Recipe Challenge: Custard Cream Biscuits


Seeing as the new series of The Great British Bake Off started last week, I decided that for this weeks recipe challenge I would do some baking. A few weeks ago one of the bloggers I regularly read made some Custard Creams, from "Feast" by Nigella Lawson, so I decided to give them a go because I had never made them before.

If you have a food processor, then they are so quick and easy to make. Basically you put all the ingredients - flour, custard powder, sugar, butter and shortening - into a food processor and whizz until it resembles breadcrumbs. Then you add the egg and milk until it combines to a dough. Pop the dough into the fridge for 20 minutes to firm up and then roll out. Cut out into whichever shape you choose and pop onto a baking sheet.



Then prick out a pretty pattern on each biscuit if you wish and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.


While they are cooking you can whizz up the custard cream icing, again in the food processor. Just pop in the icing sugar, custard powder, butter and boiled water and within a minute you have a lovely custard cream filling.

Once the biscuits are cooled, sandwich 2 biscuits together with the filling mixture and voila - yummy homemade custard creams!


Nigella makes her biscuits in a heart shape and says this recipe makes 15 biscuits. I used a fluted circular cutter and made 34 biscuits from mine! Obviously mine are smaller but psychologically I think eating 2 small biscuits is better than 1 large one because it feels more of a treat!

I don't have Nigella's book but I found the recipe on the lovely blog The Amber Spyglass and you can find the full recipe, including ingredients list here. 

VERDICT:
Would I bake these again? Yes, yes, yes!
My family gave these a 3.5 out of 4 thumbs up. I loved the biscuits texture, much more "melt in the mouth" than shop bought ones. They were a real winner and I have already made 2 more batches. They are simple to make and delicious. I have since passed on this recipe to 2 friends who have also loved them.

I am really enjoying doing this recipe challenge because we are trying something new each week. What have you baked this week?

Thanks for reading.
Enjoy the rest of your day.
Take care,
CJ xx

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I am so glad you made these and loved them! Everyone does though, they are such a foolproof winner. Yours look absolutely delicious, it's made me want to make them again. My little brother requested them recently so maybe I will have to whip up a batch. Thanks for linking back to me <3 Lovely post and photos, and it even looks like we have similar taste in plates! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definite winner in our household. Thanks for reading and commenting. CJ x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time read my blog and I would love to read your comments.