Sunday 15 June 2014

Happy Father's Day!


Today it is Father's Day here in the UK so I decided to dedicate this blog post to my wonderful Dad, Richard. The photo above is not the best pic of him but it was only taken last Sunday so is the most recent. Ideally I would have loved to have put up a photo of him as a young man with me as a baby but all those pictures are on slides and I have not had the chance to convert them to a photo file in time for this post. Perhaps if I find time this week I will add one to this post.

I am a true "Daddy's Girl" and I love my Dad so much. Today will be the first time in many years that we have been able to see each other on Father's Day. He used to live 3 and a half hours car journey away so, because his birthday is at the end of June, we used to time our visit to celebrate that instead. This year is different, though. Sadly towards the end of 2012, my step-mum died, so Dad decided to move nearer to me. Obviously selling houses takes time, but in July 2013 he finally moved down to be near me and my little family. In fact he moved into the same road as me, almost opposite! It has been lovely to see him every day, although it is tiring for me at times because I do all his cleaning, laundry, etc and sometimes running 2 households does get me down. He is not in the best of health these days and I am well aware of his mortality which is hard but if I can make the last chapter of his life a happy one then it is a job I undertake gladly.

My Dad is one in a million. He brought my brother and I up alone when my mum left. I was 8 years old and my brother 10. It's not that common now, but single dads in the 1970's was unheard of! It can't have been easy, holding down a full time job as well as looking after 2 children, he had no family support, but he did it. 
My brother and I turned out okay so he didn't do so badly! He always made sure I knew how much he loved me. As children we didn't fully appreciate what he did for us, but now, as an adult I do. Now the roles are reversed and I look after him. Yes he can be a grumpy, old man at times but I adore him.

Happy Father's Day Dad, I love you more than words can ever say. Thank you for everything you have done for me and the love you have given me.

To all the dads out there, have a wonderful Father's Day. 
To all those who no longer have their Dads, I hope today isn't too hard for you. Hugs.

Thanks for reading.
Take care,
CJ xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time read my blog and I would love to read your comments.